Saturday, March 3, 2012

I'm entering the stadium

Every child is tucked into bed and most are sleeping.  Gary just called and is enjoying all that the Denver airport has to offer.  Soon we'll be reunited.  Soon.  Hours.

This has been quite the marathon for Shanda Lynn.  Three weeks of praying, talking, processing, supporting, crying, rejoicing, wondering, and marveling at the hand of my Father.  God has been so good to us and as I lay in bed last night, my mind went up.  I began to name the times this week that I have seen the hand of God in my life.  There are many.  It is awesome to look back and see. . . actually see God putting puzzle pieces the right way.  It happened to Gary in CA, and it happened to me here at home.

Now that the puzzle is put together a little more it looks better, but there were times this week when things were just a mess!  I'm sure that Penny is responsible for most of the pieces being scattered.  :)  O.K., she is just responsible for a few.  I've scattered a few myself.  Right now though. . . even though the dishwasher is broken and it is one of my favorite appliances. . . things still look good.

This has been a heavy thinking week for me.  Do you have weeks like that?  All the factors were in place: Gary gone for most of the week, dealing with the death of an in-law, trying to figure out how to support your husband, ending a rather rigid diet, sleep deprivation, being alone at night, preparing for a mini-vacation, seeing friends go through some rough spots--it all lead to a heavy thinking week.  That in a way has been good.  I've processed some stuff.  I've made some decisions.  I've broken down.  I've accepted help.  I've forgiven.  I've been forgiven by my kids.  I've thought about sprinkling ashes.  I've thought about a funeral service that was attended by less than 10 people.  I've thought about dividing up assets.  I've thought about my kids and who they are going to be.  I've thought that Penny needs to be older so that she can understand consequences in a much more concrete way.

I titled this post "I'm entering the stadium".  I feel like I've run a bit of a marathon and am heading in ready to finish, ready to get my medal, ready to move on to the next thing.  I'm tired and glad that it is behind me.  Glad that I can start new again tomorrow.  Glad that Gary and the three oldest ducks will join me for an overnight in Chicago.  That is where we are going to celebrate.  We'll swim.  We'll worship with friends.  We'll look at penguins and beluga whales.  I'll be a little sad that they are in captivity.  I'll still marvel.

What kind of race are you in?  How will you celebrate when you complete it?  I wonder what will be next for me.  Another marathon?  A sprint?  Some hurdles?  (please no!)  Frankly I'd like to be part of a relay.  I'd like to hand off to someone else and then cheer a lot.   Enjoy your week!

No comments: