I met a man named Juan on Sunday. Actually, I didn't meet him at all. He made himself known to the entire congregation. We went to Chicago for an overnight with our oldest three this week-end. It was good to be away, enjoy daddy, see friends, sleep in a hotel, visit the aquarium, get together with some relatives and eat great pizza. Back to church.
Our friend Antionne is the minister of music at River City Community Church. It is set in a typical urban neighborhood. Street parking. A wandering cat or two. Houses stacked just a few feet from each other. Meager grass. Litter. There is something I love about the whole feel of it. It was during the worship time that Juan came in. We sat in the front row and I could hear the commotion behind us. I cast a quick glance and saw him: unkempt hair and a very very full gray beard. Walker. Bomber jacket. He wasn't shy about announcing his arrival or talking with the person he sat beside. I thought that Juan probably had some degree of mental illness. I was glad he was there. I continued to sing and love on my God and my kids. Worship is a family affair for me. We prayed together and then called all the kids forward so we could pray for them. My kids were sent off to various children's worship services and then Pastor Daniel got up to preach. I really enjoy hearing him and believe he is Spirit led.
He explained the sermon series and then asked us to open our Bibles to Mark 3. He also put it up on the power point. The text was in English and in Spanish. Wow I thought. This is great. I like seeing the text in another language. Cool. At the end of the reading, which included some of the names of the disciples, we were asked to sit back down and it was then we heard from Juan. "Hey, my name is in the Bible! Did you see that?!? My name is in the Bible!" Pastor Daniel smiled from the pulpit and asked "What is your name brother?" "Juan, my name is Juan. See that? You are gonna talk about me!"
Pastor Daniel's focus was not on Juan or on John for that matter. His fabulous sermon was about discipleship. In the middle of the sermon Juan got sick of it. He announced that since the pastor wasn't talking about him, it was time for him to go home. It was quite the distraction. Pastor Daniel handled it beautifully--acknowledging him but not allowing him to take over the service. Other elders and servants quietly helped Juan get where he needed to go. Sadly, he missed out on communion. During lunch I asked our friends if Juan has been coming a lot. He had been there a few times.
I don't think Juan will show up in my church. Not him specifically, but someone like him. We aren't in a neighborhood where there are many Juans. Then again, perhaps I'm not looking. I find myself thinking about Juan a lot. How would I react if he showed up in my church? Would I welcome him? Look at him with disgust? Would I ask him to sit with me? Is my church so welcoming that Juan would have a desire to come in? I think diversity takes many different forms and at River City Community Church, all are welcome. Are they welcome at Holland Heights Church? Really? Are they welcome in Shanda Sprick's life? Really? Seriously????
Juan's name isn't the only name found in the Bible. My name is there too. God has adopted ME as His daughter. I can shout for joy and proudly exclaim "Hey, look at that! My name is in the Bible!" I pray that God gives me eyes to see those who need mercy from me because God has already shown them mercy.
No comments:
Post a Comment