Tuesday, March 20, 2012

So blessed

Simon is having surgery today.  The title to this post doesn't seem quite right does it?  Yet I woke up this morning praising God.  I praise Him that I live in a time where there is medical help.  I praise Him that I was able to take my Penny to the ER last night after getting back from the hospital with Simon so that she could get medicine for her ear infection and for croup.  I praise Him because I reached out on facebook after receiving the surgery news looking for prayer and encouragement and I got it!  It was amazing to sit with Simon and show him how many folks are praying for him.  I praise Him because no one woke me up in the middle of the night last night.  I praise Him because yesterday I needed help with childcare and I received help--even more help than I needed.  What a community of believers!  Yes I am tired.  Yes my eyes are all puffy from crying.  Yes my house is a wreck and our family is going to be a little off for the next week.  BUT I AM BLESSED.  God is taking care of us.

We don't know when Simon's surgery will be today.  We aren't sure yet what they are going to do--his tumor complicates things a bit.  His appendix ruptured which created an additional abscess in his abdomen.  His body is pretty beat up and they aren't sure that they want to fully open him up and remove everything.  It probably ruptured late last week.  (Poor guy!!!)  Either they will surgically put in drain tubes to remove the infection and we'll return in a few weeks to actually take out the appendix, or they might choose to go in and get everything today.  They are leaning towards the first option.  Either way he is going to be o.k. and his tumor is not the cause of the problem!!  This mama was getting so very scared.  Whew!  Bless God!

Gary and I sat on either side of Simon's bed and looked at each other.  Simon was beginning to have more pain (morphine on the way please) and we both cried.  We cried because there were two parents on either side of him.  The last time he was in a hospital for surgery he was in China.  He was one.  There may have been an assigned grown-up to him, but not a parent.  He was essentially alone.  Now we were able to kiss him, explain what was going on, play angry birds, and encourage him to drink kool-aid so the doctors could get a great picture of his tummy.  This is my boy!  I get to sit by him.  He is not alone and neither am I.

My son is going to be safe today and is going to begin to feel better today.  My daughter's ear isn't throbbing anymore.  My husband spent last night at the hospital and I'll get to join him later.  My community threw its arms around me in ways I couldn't imagine.  And I have a beautiful bouquet of flowers that Gary brought home just for me.  Orange. Mmmmm

So as I sit by the computer this morning with tears streaming down my face I am indeed blessed.

2 comments:

LJFredricks said...

And you are a blessing! You guys are in our prayers more than daily. Love you.

Little's said...

Wow Shanda! I am so happy I found your blog again! I am so sorry for all the "trials" but so happy you are being blessed. Praying for you all!