Monday, April 9, 2012

Back to normal?

HI
After blogging every day over the latest Simon developments, it has been good to take a little break.  Our whole family just got to "be" over the past few days.  We had some catching up to do!

Simon is currently at school.  I cried as I walked in the door: he is in school!  Though he can't play on the playground and he has two tubes sticking out of his body--he is there.  He is beaming as he sees his friends.  He thrives around kids his age, so it is cool that he was able to go today.  He may go to bed at 6:00, but that is o.k.

We aren't completely back to normal though.  We flush his drain twice a day.  We give him iv antibiotics three times a day (8:30, 4:30, and 12:30).  We have appointments in Grand Rapids.  A nurse is coming this afternoon to draw his blood for tests.  Dinner is being brought in again tonight and two other times this week.  Other abnormalities are that things don't bug me as much as they used to.  Simon is a leaner.  He saddles up next to you and the next thing you know, he is either sitting on your lap or leaning against you.  It used to bug me at times.  Stop leaning on me!  Yesterday at church he was standing by me and the next thing I know, he is leaning on me.  I loved it!  My boy was doing his thing.  I'll need to remember that in four weeks when I'm sick of him leaning on me again.  :)

What is normal is that we are all under one roof.  We all attended church on Sunday--I wept again: shocker.  We all sat down to eat together for the first time in over three weeks.  We read books together.  We all looked for Easter Eggs.  Plus, Simon even threw a small fit this morning because he didn't want to do his duck duties.  It made me kinda happy.  That is normal.

One last abnormal thing: God's people.  We are to live in the world, but to be different. . . to show Christ.  In this Easter season, I've never before seen Christ like I have the past three weeks.  We need to be abnormal.  Yesterday at church so many folks told me that they were praying for me.  I can't even describe how that feels. I just know that God took care of us because of it.  God wrapped His big arms around us and not once did we doubt Him or question the situation.  In my darkest moments when my mind would go to horrific places--Christ lifted me up because of all of the support from His children.  It is so awesome!  I am changed.  I hope I am forever changed.  I was broken by God and accepted the help that was offered.  I learned to say "yes" more rather than try to do it all.  I learned new ways of helping others in the future.  I pray that I never forget.

So what is next for Simon?  Our first hope is that his drain will come out sometime this week.  Then in three to four weeks, we hope that the pic line will come out and he'll be able to be off of antibiotics.  This would also mean he could ride his bike, play in the dirt, and jump on the trampoline.  A few weeks after that, he'll have surgery again to take out his appendix.  Now, could that plan be changed?  Of course.  Will we be surprised?  Nope.  After the past month we are prepared for surprises.  Will we lean on God and His people?  You bet!

No comments: