Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Superpowers

My boys are enjoying school this year and often choose "school" as the thing they are thankful for when we pray together before bedtime.  I'm thankful for this.  Very thankful.  This hasn't always been the case, nor am I naive enough to think it always will be.

So this morning I wasn't surprised when Garrison and I began talking about school.  He had wandered up the stairs (You did know Garrison slept in the basement right?  Because Penny attacks Noel in the middle of the night right?  So Noel is in the boys room (she often has bad dreams) and Simon needs iv meds at 12:30 so. . . to the basement you go Garrison!) at 7:00.  I was finishing my quiet time and the rest of the house was asleep.  It was rather nice.  My large kindergartner climbed into my lap (ugh!) and I relished the chance to cuddle with him, rub his back, and just listen.  His favorite part of school is recess.  This isn't surprising either.  I asked him what he had done at recess.  Two things.  "I played Mario for awhile and then I played tag."  He listed the names of a few of his classmates.  We were interrupted then by others and it wasn't until breakfast that I figured out we hadn't finished our early morning conversation.

Garrison sat at the table with his Bible Story book by his side.  It is the one he bought at the thrift center.  It is one of his most prized possessions.  He often carries it around and I had noticed that he had it under his arm when he got off the bus.  I could think of worse treasure to keep.  He was looking at it while he ate when he told me he had used it on the playground.  I paused and asked how he would use his Bible Story book during recess.  He informed me he carried it around and during Mario, he was able to open the book and give his friends super powers.  After all, the Bible is so very powerful.

Yes my son.  Hard to argue with that one.

1 comment:

KatieKate said...

superpowers
now THAT is fantastic