I'm a sentimental kind of a gal. I like to remember the big (and little) moments--especially the firsts and the lasts. I remember the day I walked into my first classroom as a teacher. My parents were with me, I held the key in my hand, and just before I unlocked the door my parents and I paused and we talked about what this meant--me being a teacher. "You'll never walk into your first classroom again" dad told me. I walked off of Girl's Hill at Camp Roger that last night before the cabins were torn down. I stopped and looked and remembered. I wanted that last image to be forever etched in my brain. As we left our house to go to the hospital and deliver Garrison I stopped in the living room and had Gary take a moment with me. I knew this house would never be the same. I have a copy of my first real paycheck. I gripped my classroom key from Chicago Christian a little tighter before I turned it in because I knew I was leaving teaching and didn't know when or if I would return. I love the watch the last episode of a tv show, even if I hadn't really watching the whole series. Yeah. . . I could keep listing on and on. Sappy. Sentimental. I think this is part hard-wired and part parental coaching. I'm thankful I have this. It helps me to mark moments, to see the hand of God, to take a step toward moving on.
Thus it was with great sadness that I missed a moment. I missed it. I knew it was coming and I had even brought the camera. With all the driving back and forth from the hospital it looked like our car would be turning 100,000 miles. I love that kind of stuff. I was going to take at picture at 99,999 and then again at 100,000. I had even begun to think about all the trips, visits, and "episodes" the car had seen. I was going to think about them as it happened. I left the hospital at 99,983 and then. . . . 100,011. What?!? I couldn't go in reverse. Somewhere along the highway there was a moment that I could never go back to. I called Gary who was still at the hospital and shared my lament. He didn't seem as distraught over the news as I was. . . probably because it is a car. Boo.
No comments:
Post a Comment