Sunday, April 22, 2012

Whew!

We are off and running and dare I say it. . . BACK TO NORMAL!

See, Simon and I went for another appointment with our infections diseases doctor--the one and only Dr. Dahl.  I love her.  I really do.  God put her in our path at the right time--she was on call for two weeks--just when we happened to be in the hospital.  Hmmm--aint no coincidence baby!  So we go to see her for our second follow-up appointment.  It feels so familiar to drive to Grand Rapids, to park in P5, to take the elevator up to the hospital.  We rode with a woman who had a "parent/guardian" badge on.  I smiled at her and said that I once had one of those.  I'm sorry that she has to have one too.  Her baby was born at 28 weeks.  She just went for lunch and was now back on duty.  Oh there is so much heartache for parents at DeVos Children's Hospital!  I hope I never forget the feeling, but I'm so thankful I'm not doing that one or sometimes even twice every day.

I had planned to make a pie for Dr. Dahl.  I didn't for two reasons.  1. I couldn't find rhubarb at Meijer and I was determined to make a rhubarb pie.  I make an excellent one.  Meijer has everything--except for rhubarb last week.  2. I knew we'd be coming back again so I could make it for her next week.  BUT, there will be no pie.

Dr. Dahl was shocked that Simon's blood counts/tests/numbers/blah blah's were as they were.  She didn't see this coming.  She looked at me and said that last week she never would have guessed that he would be back to normal.  She even said the word "miraculous".  Of course it is.  My God is in the miracle business and many folks have been talking with Him about it.  I wasn't surprised about that at all.  I was surprised about her next statement.  "We can take out the pic line."  WHAT?!?!  I didn't bring my camera.  I didn't make a pie.  You mean he can play and jump and shower and ride a bike and climb and be a six year old boy?  Yup.

I may have gotten a little excited in her office.  I may have been a little too loud.  I may have laughed and shouted.  I may have even danced.  I did bless God.  And then she put on gloves, snipped some stitches and pulled it out.  It was longer than a spaghetti noodle and as thin as an angel hair pasta.  That tube helped save my boys life.  That tube provided medications.  That tube gave blood for tests.  Now it was gone.  Out.

Simon was sad I was going to make him take a shower (he hadn't showered in six weeks!), but he was thrilled to jump on the trampoline.  He wrestled with Gary.  He played in the creek.  He is normal.  He is putting on weight (2 pounds last week!).  I finally feel like we are back to normal--including Gary and I who aren't giving him his iv meds anymore.  Thanks again for all of your help.  Mostly, thanks for talking with God about us and how we needed His help.  You lifted us up and we are so grateful.  We'll let you know when his surgery to remove his appendix is scheduled.  Bless God!

No comments: