I've been thinking about meals lately. . . mostly because I haven't been cooking much and have been having meals brought in to our home. First--not everyone is called to bring in a meal. I said it and I mean it. Making a meal is a calling and not something that we are all required to do. We need to show Christ's love to those around us, but it might not be bringing a meal. Prayers, driving, money for gas, cleaning, sending cards for all of our children, gifts for Simon and the ducks, babysitting, sending me a card, sitting with Simon in the hospital, sitting with me in the hospital, calling and not expected a call back, facebook messages. . . all are showing Christ's love. Second--wow is getting a meal a treat. Folks have taken great care of us in this regard. As our feet are getting underneath us we don't have any more meals scheduled. It is nice to say. It is nice to look over the past month and know that we didn't go hungry--and I didn't stress about this.
Here are some of my thoughts on the good and bad of getting a meal. The bad first.
Bad:
1. All you nice folks--you kept bringing dessert! :) I have a very difficult time resisting dessert and there it is. . . in my house. Cookies. Ice Cream. Ice cream pie. Pumpkin pie. Brownies. That is the only bad thing.
Good:
1. No stress about supper.
2. There was enough for leftovers. We asked for a meal about three times a week and used the leftovers for lunches and for supper in the hospital. Awesome.
3. It is fun to taste some new stuff!
4. The kids get to see their mom not doing it all--saying "thanks". They are also learning about accepting with graciousness something they might not be so excited about.
5. Balanced meals--folks often brought a nice well-rounded meal. I try, but don't always produce something with a mixture of food groups. I am inspired.
6. These meals gave me some new ideas about combinations or flavors I hadn't tried before.
7. I was able to interact with folks who I don't talk with on a regular basis. I liked that. People from church wanted to help and that is what they did--even if they didn't know me well.
8. We received many meals "off schedule". These came frozen and are ready for us when we need them. We'll use them on doctor's days, when Simon has his next surgery, or when I've just had one of those days. :) Offering a friend a tater tot casserole is just helpful. There are two right now in my freezer.
9. I've learned new things about giving a meal--new ideas on how I can share with others in the future. One friend picked up my crock pot ahead of time and brought the meal in it. I saw new ways of packaging lettuce. Various pans went through my kitchen and I saw some things I liked: future Christmas list fodder perhaps. I've also learned many new uses for jello. My kids are excited about that one. I want to be flexible about bringing it cooked or bringing it uncooked.
10. I was able to experience the hand of God through each and every person. I saw God. I wept as people took care of our most basic of needs.
Bringing a meal: it means something. Thanks.
1 comment:
It was more of a service to you that I didn't. But I will do just about anything else!!
Post a Comment