Sunday, February 26, 2012

Gerald Sprick

Gary's biological dad died on Friday.  Jerry was 73.

It is hard to believe that Gary was just there two weeks ago.  He sat with his father, looked at pictures, laughed and cried.  Things went very fast and in many ways, we are thankful.  We are thankful that Jerry doesn't have to suffer anymore.  We are thankful that Gary was able to spend some great time with him.  We are thankful that Jerry was able to hear the message of Jesus before he died.  Simon asked me yesterday if Grandpa Jerry was in heaven.  I had to respond that I didn't know.

Gary will fly out again early Wednesday morning and then return home late Saturday night.  He'll attend the service, finalize the house to be sold, take care of Jerry's personal things, and head to Pirates Cove to sprinkle Jerry's ashes.  Just Jerry and Gary.  Father and Son.

You know, this stuff with Jerry has taken a bunch of time over the past few weeks.  No doubt there will be a lot more time involved settling the estate.  Part of me gets a little miffed that our family is missing out on some serious husband and dad time.  Part of me gets a little miffed that Jerry didn't have everything together in the first place.  Part of me gets a little miffed that once again I'm a single mom.

Put away that miffing Shanda!  When I look beyond myself that miffing goes away.  How blessed that Gary and Jerry were able to be together.  Yeah!  How good that Gary is smart and responsible so that he can be trusted with handling Jerry's affairs--he understands the jargon and know who he needs to talk to if he doesn't understand.  How wonderful that I know I can handle being a mom to four kids for a few days.  Sure I might be a little crabby at times, but we will have enough food.  We will laugh.  We will do our things at school.  We will not fall apart.  We may. . . even be blessed!  We'll appreciate Gary a ton while he is gone and that my friends is good for me.

Then, we'll be leaving.  I'm just letting you know.  We'll be taking off for Chicago with our three oldest for an overnight.  We'll travel by car, we'll worship with friends, we'll go swimming, we'll eat out, we'll go to the Shedd Aquarium, and we'll meet up with Jerry's step-kids and have a little ole family reunion.  It'll be good for us to be together after being apart.  It is also nice to have a great goal at the end of our separation.

Our first parent death.  Thankfully there are still four left.  I pray we get to keep those for a long time.

No comments: