Monday, June 10, 2013

It begins

I feel like we are officially on the journey to Michael.  There was the first week of phone calls and crazy hurry paperwork to try and secure him.  Then we waited to share the good news.  Now we begin with the paper and the homework.  That's right--homework.  School is out and Gary and I have to take classes and read books and give summaries to prove that we read the books.  What?!?

Last week I went in to get my physical.  I saw the word "normal" written many times and that made me feel good.  :)  I was also given my first HIV blood test.  I don't think I ever dreamed that I would be taking one.  I haven't heard any results, so I think I passed.

Gary and I also had our first meeting with our social worker.  We sat together and got to know Mary and she certainly got to know us.  There were many questions that were super easy "Do you think you'll have any trouble with accepting a child of another race?" and others that gave us pause "How do you handle the struggles in your marriage?"  I sat beside my man knowing that I love him tons.  I love that we can answer with kindness and confidence and I am excited to see what God has in store for us.  Mary didn't say if we passed or not, but we are invited back for individual interviews.

I'm going to continue to share about our adoption journey on the blog.  I want it for the record certainly.  I also want to invite you to be a part of our story.  Would you pray for us?  When God brings us to mind would you lay us before Him?  Gary is taking the lead in our paperwork journey.  He'd love prayer cover in this regard.  There are many things to keep straight.  I'm doing Gary's bidding and working on the video.  We are making a video to share on this blog, on facebook and hopefully at church.  It will share our story and invite folks to pray and to donate money if they are moved by the Holy Spirit to do so.  Please pray that the Holy Spirit begins to work in Michael's heart and prepare it for parents.  He doesn't know parents and what they do or how they work!  He has been told that he has them, but it doesn't carry much meaning for him.  Our kids pray for Michael every night, but this will be a big adjustment for them as well.  Travel.  Fundraising.  The goose incident.  All of these things need prayer cover.  We have already felt the attack of the evil one.  It really bothers him to see orphans find forever families.  I ask God often to protect my sweet family.

We are in lap 2 of our marathon.  We were told to figure 4 months for paperwork.  Let's rock-n-roll!