Saturday, June 1, 2013

No worries

I was at Sam's Club yesterday.  My girls like Sam's because there are often samples.  They are great about the samples and I don't feel strange when we eat and leave.  Plus, there have been items that we have purchased because of a sample.  Their chicken sausages for example are wonderful and I wouldn't have bought them had I not tried one.  Now, they are a staple in our house.

BUT there is often one sample at Sam's that I need to try and avoid.  It seems as if Sam's Club has a contract with outside companies who can come in and sell their wares in the store.  Their products aren't in the Sam's Club line-up, but they are allowed a week or two to set up camp inside of the store.  These aren't the usual things.  Special towels, knives, pot stickers (these are actually very delicious and we look forward to when they are at Sam's) unique facial creams and cleaning products to name a few.  These folks have a special spot in a very high traffic area and I try to avoid them (except for the pot stickers of course!). I work to not make eye contact and am quick to say "no thanks".

Yesterday Penny and I made a quick trip in to get some of our Sam's staples.  There she was: perfectly dressed and a very white smile.  The product was something that I could hold that would give me energy.  Not interested.  I tried to sneak by, but she set her sights on me.  "Hi.  Here just hold this a second."  She gave me her perfect glamour shots smile and held out something.  "No thanks."  She tilted her head and gave me a "awe, poor you" facial expression and said "That's o.k.  No worries".

No worries.  I kept thinking about that comment as we grabbed our broccoli and granola bars.  Maybe she has been coached to say that.  It implies to me that I did something wrong.  I didn't have to worry that I hurt her feelings by refusing to hold her special energy giving stone.  Really?

I think sales people are very intentional  Their words are carefully chosen.  I wish I was more intentional with my words.

No comments: