Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Overheard

Noel and I went to her t-ball game twice last night.  The first was at 6:00, but when only one other kid was there, we returned home to check the calendar.  Sure enough--this was the only game of the season at 7:00. Hey!  More fun!

Gary stayed home with the other ducks and I was able to fully concentrate on the game.  Believe me. . . it is very easy to drift off!  If I do something else or look somewhere else Noel will call me out.  I make sure to watch her and wave in return to her waves.

I found myself laughing a lot at what I was overhearing during the game.  I let Noel know I was going to the car (ahem. . . I didn't want to be called out again!) and I grabbed a piece of paper and a pen.  Here, for your enjoyment are direct quotes from the rip roaring game of the orange team vs. the yellow team.

"Look, I can do the splits!"  Noel said this to her coach during the game while she was in left field.

"Charlotte.  Charlotte!  Charlotte!!!  You need to keep running home.  Don't stay in the middle!!!  Run Charlotte!  Charlotte!"

"Noel.  Stop throwing stones at your coach!"

"Hang on to your helmet when you run Noel!"

"We'll keep track of outs to see who wins. . . but that is only between us coaches."

"Don't spin all the way around when you hit."

"Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh. . . that's o.k.  Next time don't chase the ball after you hit it."

"Step on the base.  Step on the base!  Step on the base!!!  Good girl."

"Charlotte, the ball is already in."

"I saw my friend."  Noel stopped to tell her coach this after crossing home plate.  Every time she comes home she stops to talk with her coach about something.

"Stop playing twirl.  We are playing t-ball."


For the record, Noel played three innings.  She had a hit every time and crossed home plate every time.  In the first inning she played left field and didn't touch the ball once.  She did however make sand and rock piles and throw handfuls of sand and rocks at her coach.  (ahem)  In the second inning, she played second base and touched the ball once.  She also made sand and rock piles next to the base and refrained from throwing them at her coach.  In the third inning she played catcher and touched the ball every time as it was her job to catch it from the outfield and place it on the tee.  She also tagged the last two batters out.  It was her best inning.

No comments: