Wednesday, June 19, 2013

June 19

It's my anniversary today.  Gary and I aren't huge celebrate-with-a-big-night-out kinda people.  We went out for supper last night and enjoyed sharing memories and food.  I really like him.

Nine years isn't a big deal.  It isn't divisible by five.  There aren't Hallmark cards for the ninth anniversary.  I must say that this one holds some special meaning for me.  Two reasons.

1. I consider the start time of being "single" as when I graduated from college.  In my head I always thought (while in high school and even during the early years of college) that I would get married when I finished college.  I was single for nine years.  It was a great time and a very hard time.  I had so many adventures that I'm thankful for.  I traveled to Israel, Turkey and Greece.  I spent week-ends in New York City.  I explored all that South Florida has to offer.  I moved to Miami for four years and met my best friend Karen.  I worked at Camp Roger.  I went to Colorado twice.  I moved to Chicago.  I made new friends, said good-bye to friends, and grew some very deep roots with some really wonderful friends.  I celebrated marriages and births of people I loved.  I coached volleyball and directed over 10 plays/musicals.  I bounced a few checks.  Nine years.
Today marks the day that I've been married for nine years.  In my head I was single for "soooo" long, yet I don't feel like I've been married for "soooo" long.  I've certainly had life changes during the past nine years--four kids, an adoption, a move to Michigan, a job change for me, the death of a parent, adding in-laws to my family, learning about and living through addiction, a miscarriage, becoming a Bible Study leader . . . I certainly haven't seen sitting on my tookus.
So while nine might not seem significant to most married folks, today has meaning for me.  I've been married longer than I was single.  It is hard for me to believe.

2. About a month ago I was asked my name and I said "Shanda Sprick".  Profound right?!?  :)  I realized that I had just said it.  I hadn't thought about it.  It didn't sound strange.  I had been Shanda Koeman for over thirty years.  My last name was hammered into me during my first nine years of teaching because I was "Miss Koeman" and heard it hundreds of times a day.  Though I was so proud to take Gary's name, I did mourn the loss of Koeman.  I liked it.  It defined a part of who I was.  I'm not sure when the change came. . . when it became easy to say "Shanda Sprick". . . when I felt like Sprick is who I am.  It wasn't last month certainly, but it has taken awhile. . . almost nine years to be exact.

I wonder what the next nine years will hold?  Garrison will almost be 17.  He and Simon will be driving.  Noel will be two weeks away from getting her license.  Michael and Penny will be begging for rides.  What job will I have?  I do know I'll still love my Gary.  Happy Anniversary my love!

No comments: