Saturday, June 29, 2013

Falling all over myself

Noel and I snuck away to Target tonight.  She received a gift card from Grandma Karen (Love you mom!) for her birthday.  For the record: she has one day left of being five.

We prepped in the car about possible gift ideas.  I stressed that I did NOT want her to buy all kinds of the dollar crappy gifts that are right in the front.  They are all bright and plasticy and Hello Kitty.  We walked in holding hands and I saw a kid I knew.  I had never met him before, but I knew him.  Then I saw Laura and other children I knew.  I follow her blog.  She lives in Chicagoland (I think) and there they were in the Holland Target.  I went up to her.  "Hi.  I follow your blog."  How is that for an amazing I'm such a stalker opening.  I knew I wanted to talk with her so I sent Noel to swarm the dollar bins along with Laura's kids.  For the record Noel chose seven dollar plastic items.  Whatever.  I wanted to talk with someone I admire.

Laura eyed me with a mix of skepticism and warmth.  She is kind.  I sang right next to her my senior year of high school.  She is an adoptive mom as well.  Adoptive mamas connect right away.  She chatted a bit.  I feel like I know her so well and yet, I don't.  She has never read my blog and has very little recollection of me.  (hmm. . . I thought I was cool my senior year.)  We talked about adoption and she asked to see my Michael.  I carry a picture in my back pocket.  She got teary and I did too.  One of her daughters is from Hunan province.  We encouraged each other.  We celebrated how God has worked in our lives.

I didn't want to go to Target.  Gary was so exhausted and wanted to go to sleep at 6:30 (work.)  It is Noel's birthday.  She is so very excited about spending her gift money.  I get it.  Yet I know why I went to Target on a Saturday night.  It was a God moment.  Laura and I both said so.

I'm glad that I went and feel so very wonderful at having connected with her.  I do think I need to reevaluate my opening line though.  :)

No comments: