Monday, June 24, 2013

Who knew there was room for improvement? ;)

So. . . .

I like to learn about how to be a better parent.  I love learning from other moms and dads.  I love reading blogs from folks I respect and learning from them.  I do not find myself turning to books. . . mostly because finding the time to sit and read doesn't gel with me right now.  I read the newspaper while I eat breakfast and lunch.  I read a blog in three minutes here and there.   I love reading books, but don't take the time.

Gary and I have a homework assignment for our adoption homestudy.  We have to read a book called The Connected Child.  We also have to take two web classes.  We've completed one (one hour and we ROCKED the test at the end!) and I've finished the book.  Here is the spoiler--I learned.

I feel like I've been a better parent over the past week because of what I'm reading.  Funny thing is I really haven't learned anything new and shocking. . . I've just been reminded about stuff that I believe in.  When I'm more intentional about my parenting things tend to go better.  Sure my daughter Penny will have a meltdown on the pulpit of Community Reformed Church.  Yup.  Screaming and kicking meltdown.  She wanted a cupcake.  Sure my kids will fight during the summer about goggles.  Sure will.  Garrison will ask for a snack every hour.  My daughter Noel will lie to me about combing her hair.  COMBING HER HAIR.  I mean seriously--if you are going to lie at least choose something important.  Make it worth the consequences.  Simon will wish aloud every day for my video game time.  I'm doing better with these issues.  That feels good.  It is a good summer thing.

Speaking of summer, we are doing great!  Are you doing great?  Last summer I scheduled too much.  I was crabby and stressed.  This summer I've been intentional about planning fun things but also planning nothing days.  I'm better for it.  I think my kids are too.  Not every family functions the same, but it seems I'm finding a better balance about my family.

We have one more on-line (2 hours!  Gah!) class to do tonight and Gary and I have individual interviews tomorrow afternoon with our social worker.  It'll be another step closer to Michael.  I received three new pictures of him this morning.  He was posing with some sunglasses on.  I love so many things about this.  1. The staff knows that he is being adopted and seem to be taking more pictures of him.  Mama loves this!  2. He is laughing.  I think he'll fit into our family just fine.  3. The more pictures we have of him from China, the more pieces he'll have to remember his story of his first six years.  I believe this will pay huge dividends in the years to come.

Off to do more!

No comments: