It's the first day of summer vacation. Yesterday doesn't count. Rainy and cold. I don't mind either of these, but together they are not my favorite combination. Add nighttime and driving and Shanda ain't happy.
We did celebrate yesterday by watching lots of Phineas and Ferb. The show takes place during summer vacation so I thought it was only fitting--it wasn't the plan, but see the first paragraph and you'll understand.
There weren't many plans today and I give thanks for that. Our summer is filled with lots of plans, so having a few days without is good for all of us. I wrangled the kids over to the library to sign up for the summer reading program. Sign-ups begin on Monday. Sweet. (sarcasm!) We got books anyway and discovered that I owed $21.00 for a fine. TWENTY ONE DOLLARS! "Can we make some sort of deal?" I asked. "No". I can't pay at the desk either because they don't take credit cards. (Shanda has enough cash for doughnuts, but not enough for a $21.00 fine. More on the doughnuts later.) I have to go--with all my quiet and non-exploring children--over to another computer. I can't log in. I try every possible password I know and I can't get in. I ask to reset my password and then realize that I can't get in my e-mail to get the new password. Hmmm. Back to the front counter where Leanne is "patiently" waiting for me. I explain and she says matter of fact "you use the last four digits of your phone number". There should be a sign I think to myself. No worries. It's summer vacation and I will smile and beat myself up in the inside because I have to pay $21.00 in fines for late books. It is after all my fault. She resets and I return with the "incredibly patient and not at all wandering over to the fountain to try and touch it" children. I pay. No trouble there. We check out our books and return to the car.
"Surprise kids! Thanks to social media I know that it is National Doughnut Day and we are going to go and get a doughnut." Yup--I was once again a cool mom. :) We drop the books off in the car, take cash and head downtown Zeeland to go to Zeeland Bakery. We enjoy the walk and are about to enter when we see another mom with three kids leaving and she announces to me "They are out of doughnuts. National Doughnut Day and they don't have doughnuts." I wonder if they didn't know and then I see the big sign in the window proclaiming June 7 as National Doughnut Day. I want to express my dismay, but am not quite sure how to do that. Only one kid cries. "Let's enjoy our walk and then head to Family Fare."
I decide in the Family Fare parking lot that I will not take in my yes card since I'm anti yes card. We make it inside and see a sign declaring doughnuts 3/$1.00 with yes card. I am a dutchman, so we head back to the car to retrieve the evil card. They have doughnuts. My kids are thrilled. It only cost $1.34. I am thrilled.
The kids have played with the hose and made water balloons. We examined Gary's coin collection from his childhood. There are a few nickels worth over $2.00! The excitement is high. I weeded the garden and picked the first three strawberries of the season. Gary is home from work and we are doing a great job of team parenting. I'm off for a walk after this and Gary and I have our first interview for our home study at 3:30.
This summer is going to be great.
No comments:
Post a Comment